Baby no. 2 is coming in less than two months and it's really starting to set in. We are going to have two kids. All this time we've only had one kid, and we've gotten pretty used to having one kids. And while I'm mostly pretty over the moon excited about the arrival of our baby girl and so looking forward to all the new born snuggles coming my way, sometimes I get a little freaked out about a few things. So now I am here by soliciting the advise of wiser, more experienced mamas.
1. How do you get two kids to nap AT THE SAME TIME? I know it happens because I've heard other moms talk about it. Everyone naps at the same time and then mom gets a nice little hour of solitude. I'm looking for practical stuff here. Do you put the toddler down first and let the baby sit in a bouncy seat and cry? Or do your get the baby down while the toddler is running wild and getting into who knows what? Or have you figured out how to be in two places at once?
2. When the new baby comes and is nursing does the older baby (now toddler) ever want to start nursing again? Johnny was such a strong nurser until I became pregnant and my supply went away. Then he weaned very easily. I wonder if he will remember nursing and get jealous of the new baby? Or do 2-year-olds not remember stuff like that?
3. Cloth diapering mamas, are you just doing laundry all the time? Because of all of Johnny's GI stuff he poops a lot and we wash diapers basically every other day. I'm trying to anticipate the volume of dirty diapers once a newborn enters into the equation. Which brings me to my next question...
|Johnny is doing a diaper change on his zebra.|
5. How on earth do you get out to the car? It takes me about 15-20 minutes to leave the house with Johnny. Does it get easier with each kid you add? Or do you just add on more time? Ten more minutes for each additional child?
6. Grocery shopping. I don't even want to think about it. A couple of my girlfriends use a delivery service when things are rough. Maybe that will be our M.O. for the first few months.
7. How do you ever love that new baby as much as you love your first baby? Sometimes when Johnny is sleeping I just sit by his bed and look at his beautiful face and think there is no way I could love anyone the way I love him. We have been through so much with him. Lord willing, we will never have to go through that with another baby again. But it's created such a bond between us, not to mention Johnny is the one that first made me a mother. I've heard my friends say things like "the heart makes room," and "You just love your new baby so much, and it makes you love your other kids in a new way." I think they must be right, and it two short (hopefully) months I will be finding out for myself.